Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Day in My Life...

7:40-8:00, I wake up much to my annoyance to the ringing of my cell phone alarm where it is usually turned off to sleep for another 5 minutes. I get up to take a shower and quickly realize if I don't hurry up I'll be late for work(yet again).

8:20-8:45, Get out of the shower, dry my hair, throw on some clothes, put make up on and leave the house

8:50, I either start walking to work or decide to be lazy and take the bus. I try not to take the bus because I'm being cheap and/or feeling fat.

8:50-9:15, My walking commute to work consists of a daily stroll next to an old church converted into a concert hall, a daily food market where I pass by a stall of my favorite coffee, Flat White. ahhh I want those croissants..... I look to my right and I see three ladies chopping up veggies from Sunny's salad stall. I look to my left and I see a man from my favorite curry cart, Mantra, making rice. Le sigh....so good. After I pass by the Mountbatten office, the beautiful Bloomberg building comes to my right. I am completely jealous of their differently lit floors. Orange for one floor, Green for another and Blue for another. Tres cool. I glance by the clear sliding doors and see a TV broadcast either being taped or done live. I look at the open blinds and look at a shadow of my former life, a radio studio. The monitors, studio mics and boards all remind me of my two years at ABC Radio. I continue onto the UBS campus at 3FA just about 50 yards from the Bloomberg building.

9:20-12:30, I settle into work. Unlock my computer, grab a latte from the kitchen. I press the espresso button first then the latte button. The sound of freshly ground espresso beans means I'll have caffeine in my system. Awesome. I make my cereal then proceed to read over work e-mails while briefly browsing the nytimes. I sign onto our internal chat system and see the Mountbattens have already started chatting about our homework(we all hate to do), the GP, goings on and the finanical market. Politics used to be a topic before Obama got elected. It was lovely to see the nice conservative/liberal divide amongst us. I open my notebook and write down a daily to-do list. My personal tasks are right alongside my professional tasks for the day. It's usually the same thing: mountbatten hw, database work, follow up with x person. Some work is completed but I quickly get distracted by ryanair.com and uk.travelzoo.com and e-mails from Elly. I contemplate booking another holiday with my meager £615 montly stipend. le sigh...I can't afford an amazing 7-night 5-star £399 holiday in Turkey. I can only afford 'Free' Ryan Air flights and discount National Express trains.

12:30-2:00, Lunch is usually taken about this time. I either go to the deli next door with some other Mountbattens, run errands around the city, or eat at my desk whilst browsing the internet. hmmm gossip girl recaps on nymag i used to buy lunch everyday but the better sense has kicked in (as well as my lowly bank account) and i try as much as possible to pack lunch. Elly makes me some ham and cheese with mustard and butter(it's a brit thing).

2-6, This time I attend more meetings finish up as much as I can on my to-do list. By the 3:13-4 hour, I'm lagging and need more coffee. I usually get a hot chocolate instead. By 5, I'm either done with all my work or I'm trying to finish up as much as I can for the day. Work is funny and boring 90% of the time. I am insulted at least once by my coworker who sits across from me and at least one IM is exchanged about my lack of excel knowledge.

6-sleep, I get out of work(yay!), go home to eat, sleep, browse fb and "do mb hw." Or I head down to elly's for some dinner, cuddles, hugs and the Daily Show. A night like this is consisted of Elly and I making fun of Turton at least once and bowing down to the awesomeness that is John Stewart. the other occasional option is to actually go out and get drinks. if i go down this route, i'm usually tired after half a pint of strongbow. lol If this is a Tuesday or Wednesday night, I'm home watching Gossip Girl with Deena. I still heart you!

No comments: