Saturday, June 30, 2007

Eat This: Pinkberry

When speaking with a co-worker who lives in L.A. if he liked Pinkberry, he responded as if I had two heads.
"Pinkberry? You mean Pink's Hot Dog, right?"

"No...[redacted], Pinkberry is a frozen yogurt place from L.A. It was all
the rage there last year now people are going psycho over it here now. There's one near you in [redacted]. Hmm...So I'm guessing you've never had it, huh?"

"I don't know what you're talking about lady. It's not Quiznos so I don't
care."

Perhaps I shouldn't have started a food review with a little anecdote of a co-worker's pop culture incompetence. Regardless, this L.A. based frozen yogurt chain has caused a frenzy among "froyo" snobs and New York foodies willing to try anything.

Started in 2005 by Young Lee and Shelly Hwang, the chain has grown
to 21 locations between California and New York. The cool, sleek interior is
like a green creamsicle where colored chairs and tables are the norm and $46 plastic salt and pepper shakers will be wave of the future. The frozen yogurt only comes in two flavors, original and green tea. They also have a variety of toppings from fresh chopped fruit to chocolate chips to cereals which I've read "make Pinkberry so good."

Okay, so I decided to checkout what all the hype was about. Consider me the few that left me so unimpressed. I ordered a small original (about $5!!) without any toppings. I dig in and immediately taste sourness. Is it supposed to taste like this? Did I get a bad batch? Ugh. I didn't understand why people waited in long lines for this stuff. To me it was just another overpriced, over hyped, sour piece of mess. When I told a Pinkberry fanatic my initial impressed, she informed me that I had to go again. It was one of those you need to try it twice type of things. I didn't get it, but I said to myself, "ehh...why not?"

The second time I went I ordered a green tea with a kiwi topping. Result? Better, but still not worth the $5 plus and the long lines to get it. My friend and I concluded that it would have tasted better with some chocolate chips instead of fruit. The yogurt with the toppings is a lot tastier, but that's saying plain toast tastes better with butter.

Overall, Pinkberry is a good alternative to the other froyo choices out in the New York area. If you are thinking that you are going to find a creamy custard-like substance, you will be surprised. If you love the way Greek yogurt tastes,
you should be in for a treat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinkberry Locations:

  • 170 8th Ave, New York
  • 7 W 32nd St, New York
  • 240 E 82nd St, New York

No comments: